This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Motivator Build Log
So, I have been working on this for a while now.  I have had several things pull me away from this challenging upgrade.  However, it is time to start logging this so, I can have a record.

This is my attempt to get a billowing plume of smoke that is present when R5-D4's motivator goes bad.  Right now, I am dialing the electronics.

I go from the 12V battery to a 30A relay that is controlled by a simple 3 seconds on 10 seconds off Arduino sketch.  The voltage is then stepped down to 3.7V via a 30Amp regulator.  Through testing, Iv'e found I can stick a 30Ohm 5W resistor in line with the 6V aquarium pump to supply proper voltage to it. 

The .18 Ohm heater draws about 76 Watts and about 21 Amps for this three seconds. The heater coil is rated up to 80 W.[/font][/size][/color]

After serval design attempts.  This one is the simplest and most elegant.  It uses a scotch yoke mechanism to raise and lower the Bad Motivator.  All of my spring loaded attempts left me with the trouble of resetting the system.  This way it is all software controlled and I can run it without fear of losing panels as they go flying off.

Messages In This Thread
Bad Motivator Build Log - by Eebel - 03-04-2020, 09:59 AM
RE: Bad Motivator Build Log - by Hechtlnjekyll - 04-07-2021, 11:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motivational video from the Bad Motivator Eebel 0 1,857 09-06-2019, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Eebel